President Cyril Ramaphosa has extended the deployment of the South African National Defence Force to crime-riddled areas of the Western Cape until 31 March 2020. The troops were supposed to have left the on Monday (16 September), after being deployed in July. The president’s office says SANDF members will continue to undertake operations there in cooperation with police.
“Members of the regular and reserve forces of the SANDF will undertake operations in cooperation with the police, and will support the prevention and combating of crime and maintenance and preservation of law and order in the Western Cape,” the Presidency said.
The president has, in compliance with the Constitution, informed the Speaker of the National Assembly, Ms Thandi Modise, and Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces Amos Masondo, of the extended deployment of armed forces.
“The president commends all the law enforcement agencies for the work done thus far and further extends his appreciation to the affected communities for supporting the work of the various security and law enforcement agencies in stamping out criminality and bringing about stability in the affected areas of the province.
You might also like – Rica has been declared unlawful
Judge Roland Sutherland from the South Gauteng High Court has declared the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information Act (Rica) unlawful. News 24’s Investigative Unit Amabhungane went to court after learning that its managing partner, Sam Sole, had been the target of state surveillance under Rica.
The unit says Rica is unconstitutional, as it has failed to safeguard the right to privacy, the right to freedom of expression and access to justice. Read more