Home Business and Technology Huawei prepares for 40% – 60% fall in international smartphone shipments

Huawei prepares for 40% – 60% fall in international smartphone shipments

Huawei

Huawei Technologies is preparing for a 40 per cent to 60 per cent decline in international smartphone shipments, Bloomberg reported on Sunday (Jun 16).

The Chinese technology company is looking at options that include pulling the latest model of its marquee overseas smartphone, the Honor 20, according to the article, which cited people familiar with the matter.

The device will begin selling in parts of Europe, including Britain and France, on Jun 21, the report said. Executives will be monitoring the launch and may cut off shipments if the sales are poor, it said.

Marketing and sales managers at the tech giant are internally expecting a drop in volumes of anywhere between 40 million to 60 million smartphones this year, the report said.

In order to offset the overseas decline, Huawei is aiming to grab up to half of China’s smartphone market in 2019, Bloomberg said. The company did not respond to a Reuters request seeking comment.

The US government put Huawei, the world’s largest telecommunications equipment company, on a trade blacklist in May that bars US suppliers from doing business with it because of what Washington says are national security concerns.

At the time, Huawei founder and chief executive Ren Zhengfei said the restrictions “may slow, but only slightly” the company’s growth.

Loading...

A similar US ban on China’s ZTE Corp, almost crippled business for Huawei’s smaller rival early last year before the curb was lifted.

The company’s woes are feeding into trade tensions between Washington and Beijing. President Donald Trump has said US complaints against Huawei could be resolved within the framework of any trade deal.

The ban has been eased slightly to allow a temporary general license that lets Huawei purchase US goods.

However, Broadcom sent a shockwave through the global chipmaking industry last week when it forecast that the US-China trade tensions and the Huawei ban would knock US$2 billion off this year’s sales.

You might also like…Theatre to be renamed after slain Matwetwe actor

The Momentum Theatre at the State Theatre will be named in honour of Sibusiso Khwinana.
The Momentum Theatre at the State Theatre will now be named after slainĀ Matwetwe filmlead actor Sibusiso Khwinana, Pretoria East Rekord reports.

Sibusiso Khwinana

The renaming ceremony will be held this Sunday, according to SA State Theatre CEO Dr Sibongeseni Mkhize.

The Momentum theatre is one of the six theatres housed in the State Theatre complex, which seats 120 patrons. continue reading…

Source – CNA

Loading...

GET THAT NEW JOB TODAY

Are you looking for a job or maybe you are already working but want a new job? We have you covered on our Jobs Listings website. We post only genuine jobs and you can apply for free. See All Jobs Here Get it on Google Play