Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula allegedly received wads of cash and gifts totalling R5-million from a South African National Defence Force (SANDF) contractor between 2017 and 2019.
The damning allegations are contained in a letter that United Democratic Movement (UDM) leader, General Bantu Holomisa, sent to the chairperson of the parliamentary joint standing committee on defence last week. In the letter seen by Independent Media, where the contractor is not named, Holomisa claims Mapisa-Nqakula allegedly received:
* R300 000 that was given to a senior SANDF official “for the benefit of the minister” at OR Tambo International Airport in November 2017.
* R150 000 to pay a night nurse who was taking care of the minister’s terminally ill father in November 2017.
* Seven payments of between R100 000 and R500 000 in hard cash from February 16 to July 5, 2028.
* R250 000 “umphako” in August 2018 ahead of an event.
* R150 000 during a meeting at her private residence in Bruma, east of Johannesburg, in September 2018. American dollars delivered to the VIP tent at the Waterkloof Air Force Base during an aerospace and defence event, also in September 2018.
* An undisclosed amount of money on January 2, 2019, ahead of a trip to Durban where she was attending a family funeral.
* Several payments of R400 000 cash between February and July 2019, and
The minister’s sister was subsequently suspended from the embassy and recalled.
After Mapisa-Nqakula allegedly managed to smuggle the woman into South Africa, she stayed at her private residence in Bruma where she was allegedly dating one of the minister’s sons. The minister was being investigated but the outcome of the probe was never made public.
In other news – RHOJ star Christall rushed to hospital after being heavily beaten by DJ Tira’s wife Gugu Khathi during a club fight
According to a local publication, the Durban DJ’s bae teamed up with Brinette, who is also of RHOJ fame, to wrestle Christall at a club in Pretoria. Learn more