Fresh, crisp vegetables in an even crispier shell. Great as finger food or a starter served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 packet Veg for Two Mediterranean
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– ½ teaspoon salt
– Pinch of white pepper
– 1 packet spring roll wrappers
– 1 tablespoon cornflour, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water for sealing the wrapper
– Sunflower oil, for frying
For the dipping sauce:
– 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
– 1 teaspoon hot water
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon lime juice
* Preheat the oven to 180°c.
* Pour the vegetables into a roasting dish with the oil and garlic. Mix well and roast in the oven until cooked but still with a bit of crunch.
* Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt & pepper, and mix well.
* Place the wrapper on a flat surface so that a corner is facing towards you forming a diamond shape with the wrapper.
* Use +- two spoonfuls of the mixture per spring roll and spoon it about 4cm from the corner closest to you.
* Roll it over once, then fold over both sides (left and right) towards the centre.
* Continue rolling it into a cigar shape until you have a small triangle of flat wrapper above the cigar.
* Using your fingers, brush the corn-starch water on this ‘triangle’ and then keep rolling to seal it.
* Place each spring roll on a tray and cover with clingwrap while you make the sauce.
For the sauce: Mix together the sweet chilli, water, soy sauce and lime.
* To fry the spring rolls: Pour oil into a small pot +- 4cm high.
* Heat the oil over medium heat.
* Gently add the spring rolls one at a time, frying in small batches.
* Carefully roll them in the oil so they cook evenly until golden brown.
* Place them on a plate with a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
* Serve the spring rolls with the dipping sauce and garnish with fresh lime wedges and coriander
source – cooking365coza