
Gauteng police arrested more than six hundred and fifty wanted suspects for various crimes over the weekend.
According to Lieutenant Colonel Mavela Masondo, the suspects had been on the run after committing serious and violent crimes that include murder, armed robberies, rape, fraud, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, housebreaking, and theft.
These suspects were arrested during the first phase of the operation, where the detectives were tracing wanted suspects.
“The second phase of the operation is where integrated law enforcement agencies conducted roadblocks to ensure that there were no illegal goods and substances transported by road users and to look for stolen and hijacked vehicles,” said Masondo.
During the roadblock in Katlehong, Ekurhuleni District, 26 people were arrested for driving while under the influence of alcohol, two cars that were suspected to be stolen were seized, and 14 undocumented persons were taken in to be processed by officials from the Department of Home Affairs.
A total number of 1,970 suspects were arrested, with more than 480 of these arrested in the Johannesburg District.
970 suspects were arrested in Tshwane District, 242 in Ekurhuleni District, 184 in West Rand District, and 87 in Sedibeng District.
North West arrests
In the North West, High-Density Operation Shanela led to the arrest of 277 suspects over the weekend.
According to Colonel Adele Myburgh, 89 suspects were arrested for allegedly being illegally in the country, 36 for assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm (GBH), nine for assault common, 10 for driving under the influence of alcohol, 14 for burglaries at residential and business premises, 12 for malicious damage to property and four for murder.
In Orkney on Sunday, police were called to a scene where a 52-year-old man was allegedly found in the street in possession of a shotgun, which he pointed towards the police.
After being given instruction to drop the weapon, the suspect was immediately arrested for attempted murder.
“Furthermore, the suspect informed the police that he shot his 50-year-old wife. Upon arrival at the nearby house, the body of his wife was found, on a sofa with a gunshot wound to her head,” said Myburgh.
She was declared dead by Emergency Medical and Rescue Services (EMRS).
The suspect will appear before the Orkney Magistrate’s Court on a charge of murder on Tuesday.
Police seized a total of 7 firearms from the murder suspect.
Operation Shanela further led to the search of 2,765 persons, 1,678 vehicles, 56 premises, and the closure of 13 unlicensed liquor premises.
A variety of drugs, ammunition, counterfeit goods, and a firearm were seized.
In other news – Watch: Actress Celeste Ntuli hits the gym
South African comedian and actress, Celeste Ntuli hits the gym after being inspired by Thuso Mbedu, Connie Ferguson, Fezile Ntuli, Unathi Nkayi, and Lerato Mvelase.

Taking to Instagram, the comedian shared videos and photos of herself working out in the gym. She credits Unathi, Lerato, and Fezile for inspiring her on consistency; she credited the other women for the different exercises at the gym. Learn More











