Home South Africa News Right2Know Campaign slams SABC board for going ahead with retrenchments

Right2Know Campaign slams SABC board for going ahead with retrenchments

SABC

The Right2Know Campaign on Thursday lashed out at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board for going ahead with its turnaround plans, despite strong objections to the job cuts.

The SABC has issued letters of redundancy and surplus, affecting around 300 employees.

R2K, which has spoken strongly against the retrenchment process, said the broadcaster’s restructuring plans would affect a number of marginalized official languages.

The campaign said executive producers of the Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, siSwati, and isiXhosa TV news desks had been made redundant.

The campaign’s Michael Graaf said South Africans who depended on the public broadcaster for information in their own languages would suffer.

He said this was a gross betrayal of the Constitution.

“We cannot accept that the SABC is going to be commercialized and that only services that make advertising revenue will be preserved, but other jobs will be cut. People of marginalized languages who don’t get much other information in their home language… for the news to be cut, we consider it to be unconstitutional.”

Unions at the corporation are set to embark on another strike over the protracted retrenchment process.

They’re discussing how they will gather and ensure that adjusted level 3 lockdown regulations are adhered to.

-EWN

In other news – Bontle Modiselle’s hot #BussItChallenge leaves social media on fire – Video

Mzansi choreographer Bontle Modiselle might end up getting crowned for the viral “Buss It” challenge. The choreographer proves worthy of her skill as she added a little twist to hers’.

Bontle Modiselle

In the video, the mother of one changed to two sizzling wears, as she gracefully flaunted her snapped body. Learn More