The Basic Education Department said over 700 schools across the country had to close at some stage due to coronavirus infections on school grounds.
More than 520 pupils and 1,169 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 since schools re-opened three weeks ago.
The Eastern Cape has the highest number of pupils who’ve contracted the virus, with 270 testing positive.
However, most of the school closures are in the Western Cape, where 332 institutions have had to close their doors.
There are mounting health concerns in that province – which is still the epicentre of the pandemic, with calls by teachers, governing bodies, unions and parents for schools to be closed growing louder.
The Western Cape Education Department said according to its latest reports received yesterday, 557 school staff members had tested positive. This number includes teachers and non-teaching staff.
The department also confirmed 134 learners have contracted the virus in this province since learners returned to school on the 1 June.
Last week protesting teachers and parents gathered in several communities including Athlone and along Prince George Drive, holding placards reading “#ChildrensLivesMatter and #TeachersLivesMatter.
Some pickets have been planned for the week ahead as learners in Grade RR and Grade R, Grades 1 to 3, Grade 6, 10 and 11 are due to return to class on the 6th of July.
In Other News – Most Gauteng schools ready to welcome back more pupils in July
The Gauteng Education Department said most primary and secondary schools will be able to operate as more pupils prepare to go back to class next month.
The national government published a set of directions on Tuesday which will see grades 1 to 3 as well as pupils in grade 6, 10 and 11 back at school from the 6 July.
The department said while its aware of the rapid rise in COVID-19 cases in the province, it will also continue to monitor pupils’ return to school and implement all necessary measure to ensure all institutions are compliant. continue reading
Source – EWN