South Africa News

Methodist Church Leads Prayer and Memorial After Fatal Attack at Maponya Mall

JOHANNESBURG – In a heartfelt act of solidarity and healing, the Methodist Church gathered outside Maponya Mall in Pimville, Soweto on Sunday to lead a prayer and memorial service following the brutal killing of e-hailing driver Mthokozisi Mvelase. The memorial comes in the wake of a disturbing incident earlier this week that has left the local community shocked and grieving.

Mvelase, who had recently relocated from KwaZulu-Natal to Johannesburg in search of work, was ambushed while on duty. He was shot and his car was set alight with him inside, just outside the busy shopping center. The violent attack, believed to be linked to ongoing tensions involving taxi associations and e-hailing drivers, has reignited public outcry and intensified calls for justice and community safety.

Methodist Church Brings Comfort to Grieving Families and the Soweto Community

Standing just meters from the scene of the attack, members of the Methodist Church formed a solemn circle in the Maponya Mall parking lot, offering hymns, prayers, and words of comfort to those mourning Mvelase’s death. The spiritual gathering drew support from local residents, community leaders, and other concerned citizens who came to stand in unity against violence.

The church’s involvement was seen as a powerful gesture of compassion and reconciliation at a time when emotions in the community remain raw.

“We are here to comfort the grieving and to pray for peace,” said Reverend Sipho Dlamini, a senior member of the Methodist Church leading the service. “This is not just about one life lost, but about the lives disrupted by senseless violence.”

Methodist Church prayer service honored not only Mvelase but also two other individuals who were caught in the crossfire during the same incident. Although their injuries were less severe, the trauma inflicted has left a deep mark on the community.

The fatal incident occurred earlier in the week when Mvelase, who had only been on the job for a few days, was attacked while waiting for a client outside Maponya Mall. According to eyewitness reports, gunshots rang out before his vehicle was set ablaze. Authorities believe the killing is part of a wider pattern of violence and intimidation targeting e-hailing drivers.

Community members reacted with anger and sorrow, staging protests outside the mall and demanding its temporary closure as a statement against the violence. Many held signs calling for increased security for e-hailing drivers and an end to what they described as “mafia-style intimidation” by taxi syndicates.

“It’s unacceptable that someone who came here to earn a living is killed in such a horrific manner,” said a local resident during the protests.

Following the prayer service, Methodist Church members organized a symbolic march through the mall parking lot, retracing Mvelase’s final moments and stopping at the exact location where his car was torched. The crowd, singing hymns of hope and resilience, paused in silence to lay flowers at the spot, now marked by charred pavement and candles.

The church’s message was clear: violence will not be allowed to define the community, and healing must begin through collective action and prayer.

Police presence at the memorial helped ensure the event remained peaceful, bringing a sense of security to attendees still shaken by the violent attack.

“We are working closely with law enforcement to ensure that justice is served and that such acts of violence are not repeated,” Reverend Dlamini added. “Our faith teaches us that we must be a voice for the voiceless and stand up for what is right.”

In the aftermath of the attack, community leaders and activists have urged both the provincial government and the national Department of Transport to intervene decisively. Many believe that the violence stems from an unresolved turf war between traditional minibus taxi operators and emerging e-hailing platforms such as Uber and Bolt.

A formal investigation has been launched, and police have confirmed that leads are being followed. However, as of Sunday, no arrests had been made.

Meanwhile, the Methodist Church continues to offer spiritual support, encouraging the community to stand firm in the face of fear and division.

“This tragedy must not be forgotten,” said one church elder. “We will continue to pray, to speak out, and to work for a safer, more compassionate South Africa.”

Source- EWN

Back to top button