South Africa News

Marshall Dlamini of EFF found guilty of assault

The Cape Town Regional Court has found EFF secretary-general Marshall Dlamini guilty of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and malicious damage to property.

This comes after he assaulted a member of the Parliamentary Protection Services during the State of the Nation Address (Sona) in February 2019.

The court dismissed Dlamini’s claim that he was protecting party leader Julius Malema during the altercation.

He is due to be sentenced on 31 May.

Altercation

Video footage of a scuffle between Dlamini and police officer Johan Carstens was shared on social media shortly after the Sona.

In it, Dlamini could be seen walking out of parliament with EFF members when he makes a U-turn and confronts Carstens.

Dlamini could then be seen reaching towards Carstens and assaulting him.

‘Assassination attempt’

As the incident sparked debate and condemnation from parliament, the EFF said the incident was an act of “necessary self-defence” as they had received information about a possible assassination attempt on Malema.

“We are told that the Parliamentary Security Service has been infiltrated by these groups and targeted the occasion of the Sona to execute the assassination.

“They hoped that the EFF caucus would be kicked out of the house using parliamentary security. The anticipated evil acts would then be carried out during these moments of chaos.

“When Malema and the EFF leadership were unreasonably stopped by these white shirts in parliament after the house had been adjourned, we all thought this was the moment and reacted with the necessary self-defence.

“The event of a white security man in black and white, being pushed and clapped in the face, followed him violently pulling Malema from passing through the corridors of the National Assembly,” the party said at the time.

Dlamini added that he would “never bow down, nor account to arrogant racists and white supremacy”.

In other news – Actress Brenda Ngxoli dumps her spiritual calling as a sangoma

Popular South African actress Brenda Ngxoli has revealed that she has dumped her ancestral calling and is, therefore, no longer practicing as a sangoma.

Brenda Ngxoli

The former The River actress announced in an X post on Thursday, 11 April, that she has dumped her ancestral calling for the Christian faith. The actress said that the birth of her two-year-old daughter, Sky Ngxoli, helped her understand that she was on the wrong path. Read More