World News

Mali rejects UN report on alleged execution of 500 villagers by troops

Mali’s interim military government has rejected a United Nations (U.N.) human rights office report on the alleged execution of at least 500 people by Malian soldiers and unidentified foreign fighters during an operation last year. The ruling junta was responding to a report released on Friday after a months-long investigation into what rights groups described as the worst atrocity in a 10-year conflict between militia groups and the army.

Government spokesman, Abdoulaye Maiga says in a statement, “The transitional government vehemently denounces this biased report that is based on a fictitious narrative and does not meet established international standards.

The report said Malian soldiers and foreign personnel descended in helicopters on the village of Moura on March 27th last year and opened fire on fleeing residents. It says in a round-up of civilians in the following days, hundreds more were shot and thrown in ditches.

Maiga says a state investigation into possible human rights violations during the operation was still on-going, but repeated previous comments that militant fighters were killed rather than civilians.

“No civilian from Moura lost their life during the military operation. Among the dead, there were only terrorist fighters and all those arrested were handed over to the gendarmerie,” he says, while stressing the authorities’ commitment to the protection of human rights.

The United Nations (U.N.) report was based on interviews with victims and witnesses in the West African country, as well as forensic and satellite imagery. Malian authorities say they denied requests by the U.N. fact-finding team to access the village of Moura itself.

Maiga adds that authorities had opened a judicial inquiry against the fact-finding mission for allegedly not having sought permission to take satellite photos of Moura, which amounts to “a clandestine manoeuvre against the national security of Mali.

Source: eNCA

In other news – Jub Jub Remains As Host Of Uyajola 9/9

It seems as though Moja LOVE and Jub Jub have ironed out their differences as the rapper has returned as the host of Uyajola 9.9 host. Molemo Katleho Maarohanye was alleged to have been fired by the channel following an incident where Jub Jub allegedly insulted his female business partner, Keabetswe Mokoena.

Jub Jub

A legal battle ensued which saw Jub Jub allegedly demanding the channel pay him R100 million in damages. Learn more