The alleged perpetrators of the unrest that has ravaged Gauteng this week have appeared in various courts in the province.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said that directors of public prosecutions had been told to allocate these matters to experienced prosecutors who would be working closely with the police to guide investigations.
A total number of 135 accused persons were facing charges ranging from public violence, housebreaking with intent to commit an offence to theft.
The NPA’s Phindi Mjonondwane said: “They will remain in custody to dates varying from July to September 2021 as their cases were remanded for further investigations and possible bail hearings. The NPA views these cases in a serious manner and will continue to prosecute those that seek to undermine the rule of law.”
In other news – 3 months since Nelli Tembe’s death; family wants justice
On Sunday, April 11, Tembe plunged to her death from the 10th floor of the Pepperclub Hotel in Cape Town while on a working trip with AKA.The Tembe family has not found closure yet as a police inquiry, opened in Cape Town, into the details surrounding her death has yet to be concluded. Learn More