The Department of Basic Education has condemned what it describes as sexist tweets by its spokesperson.
Minister Angie Motshekga has in a statement distanced herself from the controversial tweets posted by Elijah Mhlanga.
Mhlanga posted provocative images of women on his account to promote reading.
He then proceeded to tag the department’s account, using the hashtag read to lead.
Motshekga has slated the posts, saying they’re a clear sign of male chauvinism and an objectification of women.
She says this has no place in society.
Meanwhile, Equal Education has told Mhlangahe he needs to crack open a few more books on Wednesday.
The organisation responded to his sexist tweets,
Equal Education suggested he read The Will to Change: Men Masculinity & Love by bell hooks, We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde.
The highly inappropriate Tweets below objectify women. @ElijahMhlanga, right thing to do is delete & unequivocally apologise. Reading we should all do:
The Will to Change: Men Masculinity & Love(Hooks) We Should All Be Feminists(Adichie) Sister Outsider(Lorde)@DBE_SA #ReadToLead pic.twitter.com/SAKNJdYqBh
— Equal Education (@equal_education) August 13, 2019
Equal Education General-Secretary Noncedo Madubedube said Mhlanga should possibly attend sensitivity training and read more widely himself.
Madubedube extended an invitation to the Department of Basic Education, asking them to all the NGO to provide them with information and training on issues of intersectionality and feminism.
Section27 has also condemned the tweets.
— SECTION27 (@SECTION27news) August 13, 2019
You might also like…Public Protector files CR17 financial records at High Court
Documents obtained by Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane about the CR17 campaign has been filed at the High Court. Mkhwebane’s evidence relates to a R500,000 Bosasa donation. She has not disclosed how the evidence including bank statements and email correspondence from various funders was obtained.
President Cyril Ramaphosa‘s legal team last week wrote to the North Gauteng High Court to request that details linked to banks accounts intended for the CR17 campaign not be made public. continue reading…