Home Zimbabwe News Details Emerge: Mnangagwa’s Demand To Be Buried In Mugabe’s Mausoleum

Details Emerge: Mnangagwa’s Demand To Be Buried In Mugabe’s Mausoleum

Emmerson Mnangagwa and mugabe

The family of former Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe is reported to have been put off by plans to create a space for President Emmerson Mnangagwa next to the former President in the mausoleum which was being constructed at the National Heroes Acre.

This follows the family’s controversial decision to have former President Robert Mugabe buried at his home village in Kutama, Zvimba only a few weeks after agreeing to bury him at the national shrine.

The about-turn is reported to have been caused by the decision to change the Mausoleum being built from being for Mugabe only to one in which all Presidents would be buried in future.

Zimlive reported that government engineers had been instructed to build a “Presidential Mausoleum” with space for more people.

A Mugabe family source who spoke to the publication said,

President Mugabe did not want to be buried at the Heroes Acre to stop those who tormented him in his final days from pontificating over his dead body. It would be unconscionable to have him buried next to the man whom he held most responsible (Mnangagwa).

The government initially tried to block the move to have Mugabe’s body transported to Zvimba yesterday finally relented and expressed its support after Grace proved unyielding and President Mnangagwa approved the move.

Grace and the family insisted that they were going to follow Mugabe’s wishes as he had insisted that he did not want want to be buried at the National Heroes Acre because he did not want his tormentors to pontificate over his body.

Source – Harare Live

In Other News – Prince Harry says retracing Diana’s footsteps in Angola has been emotional

Britain’s Prince Harry walked in the footsteps of his late mother Diana through Angola’s de-mining sites on Friday, the fifth day of his trip to Africa. Harry visited a landmine detonation field in the town of Dirico in collaboration with British charity Halo Trust. Dressed in a blue splinter vest, he personally helped to destroy one of the mines that have remained in the southern African nation’s soil after 25 years of civil strife.

Prince Harry in Angola

During his three-day stay in Angola, the Duke of Sussex visited the northern city of Huambo, where an iconic picture was taken of Princess Diana in 1997 in which she walked through a minefield. see more