A fresh, cool and light dish that’s the perfect partner to a heavy main course, this Tsatsiki inspired starter is healthy and delicious.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
– 2 English cucumbers (+- 680 g purchased mass)
– 500ml Double Cream plain yoghurt
– 10ml Mint Jelly
– 5ml crushed fresh garlic
– 1 box greengage fruit flavoured jelly
– 300ml hot water
– salt to taste
– 50g Herbs Value Pack (Rocket and/or Watercress)
– 20g tub Beetroot Sprouts
– Cocktail Pita bread
– cherry tomatoes
– Cucumber curls and lemon half-slices
* Grate the unpeeled cucumbers. Transfer into a sieve supported over a bowl, and press firmly to extract all excess moisture. *do not throw out the drained liquid
* Gently combine the yoghurt, drained cucumber, crushed garlic and mint jelly in a mixing bowl.
* Measure the hot water into a measuring jug and stir in the jelly powder until dissolved.
* Pour in the drained cucumber liquid and additional cold water if necessary, to bring the level up to 400ml.
* Gradually pour this liquid into the cucumber yoghurt mixture and combine them to an even colour and consistency. Check for salt just to enhance the flavours.
* Pour the mixture into one large jelly mould, or 8 small lightly greased ramekin dishes.
* Refrigerate for several hours, preferably overnight.
* Loosen around the sides, and if serving individual moulds, turn each one out onto a side plate, and garnish using all or some of the recommended items.
Hints & Tips
* The same recipe may be adapted for other seasonal ingredients, such as 500ml puree of avocado pear with a dash of chilli powder. To serve, choose cheese or breadsticks or croutons.
* Recommended accompaniments: Cocktail pita bread and/or (optional) shallow-fried butterflied crumbed prawns
source – cooking365.co.za