Chicken and mushroom pie is one of Britain’s favourite dishes – and this version is even more indulgent.
This chicken and mushroom pie has a decadent twist – whereas other pie recipes include milk, we combine double cream with white wine to add a delicious richness to the filling. We top this tasty pie with flaky pastry – shop-bought works fine but you can make your own puff pastry if you’d like. Serve with creamy mashed potato or new potatoes and plenty of freshly cooked green veg, such as spinach, peas or broccoli.
– 55g (2oz) butter
– 1 onion, peeled and sliced
– 300g (10½ oz) mushrooms, halved
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
– 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme
– 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
– 150ml (5fl oz) dry white wine
– 300ml (10fl oz) chicken stock
– 4 ready-roasted chicken breasts, cubed
– 142ml pot double cream
– 250g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
– 1 egg, beaten
– Sprigs of thyme, to garnish
* Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 mins. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 mins. Add the garlic and thyme and fry for 3 mins. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for a further 5 mins.
* Add the white wine and the chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
* Stir in the chicken, simmer for 5 mins, add the cream and season.
* Spoon into four ovenproof dishes and top with circles of pastry. Trim the edges and brush with the beaten egg. Top each with a sprig of thyme. Bake for 15 mins until risen.
* Serve your chicken and mushroom pies, still warm from the open, with a big spoon on creamy mash and minted peas.
source – cooking365coza