Aston Villa, Everton play to a goalless draw. In an uninspiring contest devoid of quality Tyrone Mings headed Villa’s best chance wide from Douglas Luiz’s cross.
Everton’s hopes of finishing in the Premier League‘s European places suffered a blow as they played out a goalless draw at Aston Villa.
Subdued for long periods of the first half, Everton improved after the break, with Ben Godfrey drawing a save from home goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez from Gylfi Sigurdsson’s free-kick.
Andre Gomes wastefully lashed a left-footed effort over the bar as the visitors chased a winner but Martinez was rarely called upon, with Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s late header his only other save of note.
The result leaves Carlo Ancelotti’s side eight points adrift of Chelsea in fourth, with West Ham, Liverpool and Tottenham all better placed to qualify for Europe.
Villa, who welcomed captain Jack Grealish back from injury as a second-half substitute, remain 11th in the table. Everton’s missed opportunity
Everton arrived at Villa Park hoping to maintain their fine away record that accounted for 65% of their Premier League points this term.
And while there was the added incentive of gaining revenge against a Villa side that won at Goodison Park 12 days ago, they only showed sporadic flashes of attacking ambition.
Abdoulaye Doucoure, Richarlison, Michael Keane and Calvert-Lewin all failed to convert when presented with good chances, with Martinez producing an outstanding save to keep out the England forward’s header.
Four draws and defeat in their last seven matches points to a side that has always seemed to be chasing others above them without ever being able to apply any serious pressure.
While they again looked solid defensively – restricting the hosts to just two efforts on target – Ancelotti’s side will need to show more attacking ambition in their final three fixtures against Sheffield United, Wolves and Manchester City.
Martinez and Grealish buoy Villa
In a game where Villa displayed few moments of real quality, the return of Grealish offered a timely boost to Villa boss Dean Smith and England manager Gareth Southgate, who is soon to name his squad for the European Championship.
Villa have enjoyed a 50% Premier League win ratio when Grealish has featured this term, compared to 25% in his absence.
And while he was unable to influence the result in his 26-minute cameo, he showed a few good touches and made one superb darting run from right to left to evade several Everton defenders.
At the other end of pitch, Martinez showed exemplary reactions and competence throughout.
The Argentine has looked an astute acquisition by Smith and his 15th shut-out of the season saw him equal Brad Friedel’s club record for clean sheets in the Premier League era (set in 2009-10).
Familiar foes – the stats
- This was the 206th league meeting between Aston Villa and Everton (all in the top-flight), extending its record as the most played match in English league history.
- Only 12 days separated the two Premier League games between Aston Villa and Everton this season, the smallest gap between two sides meeting in the competition since a three-day gap between Arsenal’s two clashes with Bolton in January 2010.
- Everton have kept four consecutive away clean sheets in the Premier League for the first time since August 1995 (a run of five) with the Toffees’ haul of nine away shutouts in the top flight this season a joint-high tally (level with Manchester City).
- Aston Villa have won just one of their last eight home Premier League games (D3 L4) after winning three out of four directly before that.
- Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has enjoyed just one win in his seven Premier League games against Aston Villa (D4 L2), his outright worst win rate against an opponent in the competition (14%, min. 5 meetings).
- Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish made a substitute appearance in a league game for the first time since 6 May 2018 in the Championship, against Millwall.
Aston Villa travel to Crystal Palace for their next Premier League game on Sunday, 16 May (12:00 BST). Everton host Sheffield United in their next top-flight match later on the same day (19:00).