South Africa News

MEC asks for help over stranded Alex families

Gauteng Human Settlements MEC Lebogang Maile has visited Alexandra families who have been left homeless after their homes were demolished.

The Red Ants on Friday destroyed about 80 structures that were erected on land believed to belong to the municipality.

During a walkabout, Maile assured the residents they’re not to blame for the widely criticised demolitions.

“We want to call on the municipality to take responsibility. They must arrange permanent accommodation for our people here,” said Maile.

The MEC also issued a stern warning to people who are selling land illegally.

“We also have the criminals who abuse the plight of our people by selling them land illegally in places that are not suitable for settlement,” he said.

A disaster management task team is currently attending to the families who were displaced by the demolitions.

Maile says officials from the City of Johannesburg and the province are also involved in the process of looking into the matter.

You might also like…Neymar denies alleged rape in Paris

Brazil soccer player Neymar has denied accusations of rape contained in a Sao Paulo police report seen by Reuters, saying he had been the victim of an extortion attempt by a lawyer claiming to represent the woman he is alleged to have assaulted.

Neymar

The accusation was the latest blow for the Brazilian, who last month was stripped of the captaincy of the national team and has seen his international reputation suffer amid incidents of indiscipline. read more…

Source: eNCA

Back to top button