
Zambia’s late President Edgar Lungu, who passed away last week at the age of 68, reportedly left behind strict instructions that his successor, President Hakainde Hichilema, should not attend his funeral. According to the Lungu family’s spokesperson, lawyer Makebi Zulu, the late president was unequivocal in his wishes that Hichilema “should not be anywhere near” his body.
This disclosure has intensified the already fraught standoff over Lungu’s funeral arrangements, turning what should have been a moment of national unity into a deeply politicized affair. The resulting confusion and disagreement have left many Zambians saddened and unsure of how to appropriately honor their former leader.
Lungu died in South Africa after battling an undisclosed illness. While the government has remained tight-lipped about the exact cause of death, his political party, the Patriotic Front (PF), revealed that he had been undergoing “specialised treatment.” The PF has also accused the government of contributing to Lungu’s deteriorating health by restricting his ability to travel abroad for medical care in recent years — an allegation the administration strongly denies.
Late Zambian President Edgar Lungu Wanted Successor Hichilema Kept Away From Funeral, Family Says
Efforts to repatriate Lungu’s body on Wednesday were halted due to unresolved disagreements between the government, his family, and the PF regarding the funeral arrangements. The government had planned to accord the former president a state funeral, consistent with national protocol for former heads of state. However, the family has insisted on a private ceremony in accordance with what they say were Lungu’s final wishes.
In a video message recorded in South Africa, Zulu stated that all necessary logistics had been arranged to ensure a private burial for the late president. He reiterated the family’s opposition to the government’s perceived attempt to control the funeral proceedings, saying they would not allow Lungu’s “conscience to be betrayed.” The family, he emphasized, expected its decisions and the late president’s instructions to be fully respected.
President Hichilema, who defeated Lungu in the 2021 elections after five previous unsuccessful attempts, has so far avoided directly addressing the claim that he is unwelcome at the funeral. In a national address on Thursday evening, Hichilema called for calm, unity, and compassion during what he described as a period of “collective grief.” While steering clear of the controversy, he urged Zambians to “put aside our differences” and allow the nation to mourn Lungu with “the respect and honour that befits the high office he once held.”
Zambia’s Foreign Minister Mulambo Haimbe was part of a government delegation that traveled to South Africa to consult with Lungu’s widow, Esther Lungu, and his daughter Tasila, in an effort to resolve the impasse. Haimbe later confirmed that discussions were ongoing and that the government remained committed to securing a dignified and inclusive farewell for the former president.
“While we fully acknowledge the bereaved family’s position, this funeral is not only a family matter but a national one. All of us want a fitting send-off for our former president, and that’s what we must work towards achieving,” he told local media.
The dispute has led to a fractured and confusing national mourning process. The government declared a seven-day period of national mourning starting last Saturday. However, the PF had already announced its own mourning schedule days earlier. Tensions further escalated when the government named a state-owned lodge in Lusaka as the official mourning venue, a move promptly rejected by the PF, which directed supporters and mourners to its party headquarters instead.
The ongoing clash has prompted constitutional experts to weigh in. Prominent lawyer John Sangwa told the BBC that the disagreement reveals a gap in the country’s legal framework when it comes to funeral protocols for sitting and former presidents. While acknowledging the public interest in a former president’s burial, Sangwa insisted that the personal wishes of the deceased and their family should take precedence in such sensitive matters.
Following his 2021 electoral defeat, Lungu temporarily retreated from the political scene but later returned as a central figure in the PF, fueling speculation that he was eyeing another bid for the presidency. However, in late 2023, Zambia’s Constitutional Court ruled that Lungu was ineligible to contest again, having already served the maximum two presidential terms permitted under the constitution.
As the nation continues to mourn, the unresolved funeral standoff has underscored deep political rifts and raised questions about how Zambia handles the legacy and passing of its national leaders. Many Zambians now wait anxiously for a resolution that will allow them to bid farewell to their former president with dignity and unity — despite the divisions left behind.











