Will Smith almost turned down what ended up being the film franchise that turned him into a bonafide superstar — but thankfully Steven Spielberg was too slick for him to turn down. The Fresh Prince was the special guest on the latest episode of Kevin Hart’s Hart to Heart podcast, published on Thursday (August 3).
While discussing the film that went on to make a cool $ 589 million worldwide, the esteemed actor revealed that he initially was going to turn it down because he didn’t want another alien movie so soon after 1996’s Independence Day.
“In the heyday, the 10 movies I made at the top of my career, [my then-manager James Lassiter] was choosing the films,” he said, according to Insider. “He just had an eye. I didn’t want to make a Pursuit of happiness. I didn’t want to make Ali. And [James] picked Men in Black. I kind of understood Men in Black a little bit but I didn’t want to make Men in Black. That was the next year after Independence Day. So I didn’t want to make two alien movies back to back.”
Thankfully for Will Smith’s career, the film’s executive producer Steven Spielberg was cooler than the other side of the pillow – and richer – and knew how to convince the future Agent J.
“Steven Spielberg sent a helicopter for me to talk to me,” Smith explained. “I was in New York. It landed at his house. And, like, he had me at hello. And it was the first time I ever had lemonade with carbonated water. You can’t say no to that.”
He continued: “He said the coldest shit,” Smith added. “He said: ‘Tell me why you don’t want to make my movie…’ And he was the producer. And he put the ellipsis at the end, it was the dot, dot, dot. If he had continued, he would have said, ‘Joker, you know I made Jaws, right? You know I made E.T.‘”
And the rest was history! You can view the whole conversation here if you are a Peacock subscriber.
Just last week, it was reported that the fourth installment of another one of Will Smith’s successful franchises, Bad Boys co-starring Martin Lawrence, will drop on Father’s Day weekend next year. As of press time, the film has a projected release date of June 14, 2024.
Deadline further confirmed that the three previously released films have grossed $ 891 million to date, and the outlet is anticipating that the newest installment will have a similarly successful box office.
Bad Boys 4 is currently set to go up against Disney/Pixar movie, Inside Out 2, on its opening weekend.
Source – HipHopDx
In Other News – Birdman Says Drake, Lil Wayne, And Nicki Minaj Could Get An Easy $20M For A Show Together
Birdman is confident that his Cash Money/Young Money alumni Drake, Nicki Minaj, and Lil Wayne could command $ 20 million if they banded together for a show. Appearing on a recent episode of The 85 South Comedy Show podcast, the Cash Money Records mogul claimed that while his label has been sent offers upwards of $4million to $ 5 million for just Weezy alone if Nicki and Drizzy were added to the mix the fee would quadruple.
“So you know with Nicki and Drake, that shit about $15-20million a show,” he said. “Big facts. A lot of [money on the table]. $4-5million a show. We’ve been offered about $ 4-5 million a show. That’s without Drake and Nicki.” Read more