South Africa News

School stabbing suspect claims self defence

The suspect in the Forest High School murder case is claiming self-defence.

Muhammad Mawela says three boys whom he accuses of being gang members attacked him.

One pupil was killed while two others were wounded in the fight.

The 19-year-old is alleging the three victims were gang members who called themselves “Stoute kinders” meaning “nau_ghty kids” in Afrikaans.

The Grade 11 pupil told the court the trio attacked him while he was leaving school. He says he was forced to defend himself.

Mawela is claiming that one of the victims was carrying a knife, which fell to the ground when he hit the pupil with a stone, he then picked up the knife and used it to defend himself.

However, one boy who was stabbed in the incident insists this is a lie.

“He had a knife, if he is saying that it was self-defence but then if he had stabbed one we would understand but three, that is not self-defence,” the boy said.

The victim’s family is angry.

“He doesn’t believe his child is a gang member and is pained that the suspect might be released on lies,” said the deceased’s uncle.

Judgment in the bail application will be delivered on Monday.

You might also like…Charges against man accused of murdering Vlakfontein family dropped

The ‘mastermind’ behind the murder of seven family members last year has had all seven murder charges against him dropped due to lack of evidence.

Vlakfontein family

One of two men accused of murdering seven members of the Khoza family in Vlakfontein has had all seven murder charges against him dropped. read more…

Source: eNCA

Back to top button