Home South Africa News Sandton cop responding to domestic violence complaint shot dead

Sandton cop responding to domestic violence complaint shot dead

88
Police

A constable attending to a domestic violence complaint in Sandton was shot dead on Thursday night by a 60-year-old suspect, who then turned the gun on himself.

SAPS National Commissioner General Khehla John Sitole said on Friday afternoon Constable Percy Ramalepe, 33, with a colleague, responded to a complaint of domestic violence in Hluhluwe Street in Sandton

They found the suspect in the driveway of his home.

“When approached, the suspect, who appeared to be relatively calm, opened the gate to his home for the crew to enter where they also found the complainant being the suspect’s wife,” Sitole said.

Sitole added that once they had entered the yard, the suspect pulled out a shotgun and shot Ramalepe while his colleague grabbed the suspect’s wife, took cover and called for back-up.

A second gunshot was heard and, upon investigation, Ramalepe was found lying on ground, dead. The suspect, who is believed to have turned the gun on himself, was found lying inside the house with Ramalepe’s pistol, Sitole said.

Both were declared dead on the scene.

Sitole condemned the senseless killing of Ramalepe in the strongest possible terms and conveyed his condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

“I am deeply saddened by the news of the killing of this young member in the line of duty especially at a time when the country is faced by the devastating Covid-19 pandemic,” said Sitole.

“Furthermore, I also urge all citizens in SA who are victims of GBV or know someone who is a victim of GBV to contact government’s Gender-Based Violence Command Centre hotline which operates 24hrs/7 days a week on 0800 428 428.”

In other news – Angry Metro FM speaks out on Somizi’s bad behaviour after spreading Fake news about lockdown

Metro FM has slammed comments made by presenter Somizi Mhlongo, in which he claimed he had been told by transport minister Fikile Mbalula about the lockdown extension just hours before an official announcement by the president.

Somizi and Fikile Mbalula

In a statement to TshisaLIVE, SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo said the broadcaster did not tolerate any behaviour in contravention of government’s rules and regulations. continue reading

Source: IOL