The Western Cape Department of Transport on Wednesday confirmed the taxi ceasefire and peace accord between CATA and Codeta was holding.
Earlier this week, the national minister and his provincial counterpart announced the ceasefire, saying they hoped this would end eight months of bloodshed and conflict over the Bellville-Paarl route.
But less than 24 hours into the peace, police-reported a suspected taxi-related shooting in Milnerton.
The department has now confirmed that the shooting was not linked to conflict over Route 97.
Provincial transport department spokesperson Ntomboxolo Makoba-Somdaka said: “The shooting we saw yesterday [Tuesday] is not related to the violence we have seen in the last few weeks. It is also not affecting the peace agreement that was signed by the ministers and leaders on Monday.”
Makoba-Somdaka said the peace appeared to be holding: “The taxi industry seems to be working with the government to rebuild.”
In other news – Somhale Drama: SA celebs shower Mohale with support
Gender-based violence in the country is a pandemic on it’s own. If the alleged perpetrators are well-known individuals, the general public tends to be skeptical or selective when it comes to believing their victim.
It has been more than three days now since Mohale Motaung‘s explosive interview with Legend Manqele shared by a local publication, went viral, exposing his estranged husband’s toxic traits. If you scroll through the Twitter trends, social media is divided and Somizi has not been cancelled as yet. Learn More