South Africa News

Marikana tragedy: Affected families to get update on compensation, 10 years later

Solicitor-General Fhedzisani Pandelani is expected to give an update on Wednesday on the compensation awarded to those affected by the Marikana Massacre.

Wednesday officially marks 10 years of the wildcat strike at Lonmin Platinum in Marikana that claimed the lives of 34 mineworkers who were shot dead by police, while another 10 died in the events leading up to the mass shooting.

It was revealed last year that over R170 million had been paid to victims of the gruesome incident.

Pandelani is expected to outline if any further support will be given to the loved ones of the deceased mineworkers.

He is also expected to give clarity on financial compensation for more than 300 survivors of the massacre.

The families of those killed and survivors of the massacre still want more.

Asenathi Tukela from the Socio-Economic Rights Institute (Seri), which is representing 36 families affected by the Marikana Massacre, told Eyewitness News that while some families have received compensation for lost income, the state still had to pay for the psychological trauma caused by the massacre.

“The families haven’t been compensated and Marikana hasn’t been acknowledged as a massacre that resulted in the loss of life,” he said.

-EWN

In other news – Big trouble for Somizi as Mohale leaks photos of his injured face and damaged car after he beat him

Mzansi entrepreneur and media personality Mohale Motaung shares pictures of his bruises following an alleged abuse incident he claims was caused by Somizi. In his tell-all interview which was almost an hour long, he sat down with Aldrin Sampear for a Showmax called Mohale: On the Record.

somizi mohale

In the interview, Mohale alleges Somizi was upset that he went to an event in Durban without his approval. He then alleges Somizi abused him and said he wants to mess up his “pretty face.” Learn More

Back to top button