South Africa News

City of Cape Town warns against lockdown land invasion

The City has warned people not to invade land during the lockdown after it demolished structures that were erected in at informal settlement in Ocean View on Friday.
“It was not an eviction. The land was illegally occupied by people and we have an agreement with all spheres of government to remove people from land even though it’s not City-owned,” said mayco member for human settlements Malusi Booi.

People must not be reckless. This is a very dangerous virus (Covid-19) and they must not use this to wreak havoc and if people invade land they are putting lives at risk.” Kashiefa Achmat, a member of Housing Assembly – a social movement representing over 20 communities in the Western Cape – said the land was privately owned and on Friday residents who had been staying for years were forced to leave.

City of Cape Town

“Shacks were being torn down by law enforcement who were wearing masks, and community members could not see the officers’ faces to identify them. This leaves the community nowhere to shelter from the rain and nowhere to go while we remain under lockdown after months of living in this location. The City has conducted other illegal evictions and forced removals during lockdown despite the moratorium on evictions,” she said.

“As well as the current laws under lockdown, these residents are also protected under the Prevention of Illegal Eviction Act, which provides procedures for eviction of unlawful occupants and prohibits unlawful evictions. Neither of these legal restrictions have been adhered to.

In other news – Zenande Mfenyana’s heartwarming messages to her unborn baby

Zenande Mfenyana has been writing heartwarming messages to her unborn baby. Mfenyana, who plays drug lord Goodness Mabuza in the popular Mzansi Magic telenovela “The Queen,” recently announced her pregnancy on social media. Read more

Source: IOL

Back to top button