Johannesburg – The s-e-xual assault lawsuit brought against rapper Nelly has been dropped, according to PEOPLE.
On 7 October 2017, Monique Greene accused the 43-year-old rapper of rape after he performed in Seattle, Washington.
Monique claimed that the assault took place around 3:48 in the rapper’s tour bus, which was parked in a Walmart parking lot.
She then filed a police report, and the rapper was arrested, on suspicion of second-degree rape, at around 7:00 before being released shortly after.
Following his arrest, Nelly’s lawyer, Scott Rosenblum, said that the Hot in Here rapper was “prepared to pursue all legal avenues.”
In December, prosecutors dropped the charges against Nelly, after Monique said she would not testify in court or help the investigation.
Her lawyer, Kathy Koehler, said at the time that her client did not testify because she “cannot handle the horrible” public scrutiny and criticism she faced by accusing a celebrity.
Adding that Monique “wishes she had not called 911 because she believes the system is going to fail her.” After charges were dropped against Nelly, Monique – who was 21 at the time of the alleged assault – filed a lawsuit for s-e-xual assault and defamation.
Nelly – real name Cornell Iral Haynes Jr. – then counter-sued.
But on Thursday, Nelly’s lawyer confirmed that a settlement has been reached by both parties.
In a statement released to Variety, he said: “Both parties agreed to drop the lawsuit. No settlement or money changed hands.”
However, Monique’s attorney refuted that claim. Speaking to the Blast, she said the information about no money changing hands was “false.”
According to court records, the lawsuit was dismissed earlier this week with prejudice, meaning Monique cannot re-file the case at a later date.