Jacob Zuma drops Daniel Mantsha from legal team Jacob Zuma has shuffled his legal team, with just over two weeks to go before his corruption trial. Jacob Zuma has parted ways with one of his attorneys. The JG Zuma Foundation confirmed on Sunday that Daniel Mantsha has been dropped from the former president’s legal team. Zuma has appointed new advocates from Mabuza Attorney’s and has retained the services of Muzi Sikhakhane as his lead counsel.
In March, Zuma’s bid to prevent going to trial for corruption suffered another legal setback after the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) ruled he had no reasonable prospects of success. Zuma’s legal team filed his papers at the SCA late last year to petition the court for the right to appeal against a decision preventing him from enjoying a permanent stay of prosecution on corruption charges in the multibillion-rand arms deal.
In November, Zuma’s application for leave to appeal the judgment that his corruption prosecution should go ahead was dismissed with costs by the Pietermaritzburg High Court. Three judges found there was no compelling reason why Zuma should be granted leave to appeal the dismissal of his bid for a permanent stay of prosecution. The core of Zuma’s application was his long-time allegation that, due to an unreasonable delay in the commencement of the proceedings, it won’t be possible to receive a fair trial.
Speaking on the delays in the trial, the judgment said another court would not find differently if all factors were considered. It said Zuma’s submission – that the judges had overemphasised the seriousness of his alleged crimes – had no merit.
Zuma was handed a costs order at the time too. In February, Mantsha claimed that the issuing of a warrant of arrest against Zuma in the High Court in Pietermaritzburg was unfair. He is being persecuted and victimised. It is not about the administration of justice or securing him to come to court. This is victimisation, this is persecution.”
He was speaking to journalists outside the court shortly after the warrant was issued for non-attendance. Zuma’s legal team had submitted that the former president was ill. The warrant was stayed until May 6, when Zuma is expected to appear again. It is unclear if the Covid-19 crisis may affect the resumption of the trial.
Mantsha said at the time there should be no doubt that Zuma was ill. Why should we doubt he is unwell? Why should there be a discussion like that? He has been coming to this court for many years, even when he was not required to come
In other news – Somizi’s fake news case – SABC speaks out after asking him to step aside
We guess Somizi learnt a lesson from his bad joke amid the serious deadly virus crisis and he will not repeat such behaviour again as he saw the consequences it comes with. Metro FM presenter and Idols judge Somizi Mhlongo-Motaung has survived the SABC’S axe- for now- and is set to return to work tomorrow.
This comes after the reality TV star and professional choreographer was asked to step aside by the SABC pending the outcome of an investigation into his conduct, which was also deemed to be in breach of lockdown regulations on spreading fake news.