One expert says the second COVID-19 wave is a result of too many South Africans failing to take necessary steps to protect themselves.
Over 6,000 South Africans have tested positive for the virus in the latest reporting period and the death toll keeps rising.
“When you look at the specific stages of lockdown and you look at levels 2 and 1, there was evidence that we were in control of this COVID-19 outbreak,” says Adrian Puren from the National Institute for Communicable Diseases.
“We have seen in the Easter Cape and Kwazulu-Natal where we have superspreader events, so it comes back to the key messages during the first phase,” he adds.
Contact tracing of Gauteng students who attending the Matric Rage 2020 event in Kwazulu-Natal is under way. The Gauteng Health Department says over 1,300 matrics from Gauteng attended the event in Ballito.
The events that took place so far are in Ballito from 27 November to 4 December and Jeffrey’s Bay from 26 November to 6 December. A number of those who attended have since tested positive for COVID-19.
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced localised restrictions in Nelson Mandela Bay to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the area. He said three areas in the country are of particular concern: Nelson Mandela Bay, Sarah Baartman District in the Eastern Cape, and the Garden Route in the Western Cape.
In other news – Mzansi sends a strong warning to Rasta on painting Amapiano gogo Gee Six Five
Mzansi pleads with Rasta to allow the dead rest in peace. This statement was made after the celebrity painter expressed condolence to the Obani Lababantu hitmaker, Gee Six Five, who was announced dead on Wednesday morning, after battling COVID-19. Learn more