In this Mexican-style casserole, everyone scrapes the plate clean. Offer fresh toppings like green onions, tomatoes and avocado
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional: Chopped green onions, tomatoes and avocado
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.
- In a large skillet, combine chicken, enchilada sauce, cumin and onion powder; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread over cornbread layer; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with green onions, tomatoes and avocado.
source – cooking365coza