The Department of Social Development has taken action against some of the officials who were implicated in the R22 million spent on blankets in KwaZulu-Natal.
Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu said out of the 12 officials who were implicated, disciplinary action had been taken against nine and they were on suspension.
She said one official resigned and another had died.
There was an uproar when allegations emerged last year that millions were used to procure the blankets for the department.
Zulu says matter is yet to be finalized.
IFP MP Liezl van der Merwe had asked Zulu in Parliament about action taken against those who were implicated in the blanket procurement saga.
This was after the Department of Social Development had conducted a forensic investigation into the matter.
Zulu said they would not tolerate corruption against any official in the department. She said action has been taken against officials who were implicated.
“The reports recommended disciplinary action against all implicated Officials. Out of 12 implicated officials, nine are on suspension with pay. One Official resigned, one passed on.
“Out of nine implicated officials, one official could not be charged due to lack of evidence. Eight implicated officials were served with charges and appeared before the Presiding Officer. One case has been finalized, seven cases are under sub judice,” she said.
In other news – Basetsana Kumalo’s husband Romeo allegedly in s.e.x scandal with top gay celebrity
It was like a TV drama series this week at the Randburg magistrate’s court in Joburg when self-proclaimed television mogul and former Miss South Africa Basetsana Kumalo and her husband Romeo appeared as complainants in their case against author Jackie Phamotse.
Phamotse faces two charges of crimen injuria over a tweet she posted on June 5, 2018 alleging that she overheard a TV mogul and former Miss South Africa pleading with one of her friends, Learn More