The Palestinian Authority has been refusing to engage with the Trump administration on any level since December 2017.
Senior Palestinian official Dr Hanan Ashrawi has been denied a visa to visit the US despite being personally invited to the White House by President Donald Trump’s Mideast envoy only months ago.
Ashrawi, a Palestine Liberation organisation (PLO) Executive Committee member who visited South Africa last year, reported that her visa had been rejected for the first time in decades despite the Mideast envoy asking her to speak in person at the White House about the forthcoming US peace plan for the region which is due to be officially unveiled at the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.
“It is official! My US visa application has been rejected. No reason given,” she wrote in the first of a series of tweets, providing a list of reasons for her visa’s refusal, which she said has not been explained to her by US officials.
A US state department spokesperson, however, denied that American law authorised the refusal of visas based solely on political statement or views.
The Palestinian Authority (PA), which nominally controls the Israeli-occupied West Bank, and of which Ashrawi is a member, has had several political run-ins with Washington in the last few months.
The PA has been refusing to engage with the Trump administration on any level since December 2017, when Trump announced his recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
The organisation has also accused the Americans of pro-Israel bias as well as denouncing the new Mideast peace plan which is said to ignore Palestinian aspirations for an independent state while focusing solely on Israel’s interests, according to critics.
You might also like…Nigerian soldiers killed in roadside bomb attack
Reinforcements were dispatched to the area to recover bodies and rescue the wounded soldiers.
A lieutenant-colonel is one of three Nigerian soldiers killed, with another four suffering critical injuries, after their military convoy was ripped apart by a roadside bomb.
Monday’s attack marked the latest loss for the military which has been battling an Islamist insurgency in Nigeria’s north-eastern region since 2009 with militant group Boko Haram focusing its attacks in Borno State, Premium Times reported…Read more here
Source: The Citizen