More than 80 civilians, including children as young as two years old, have been killed in the latest attack to afflict western Ethiopia, the country’s national human rights commission said on Wednesday.
Aaron Maasho, spokesman and senior adviser for the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC), told Al Jazeera the massacre took place on Tuesday between 5 am and 7 am in the region of Benishangul-Gumuz, which borders Sudan and South Sudan.
We received information that over 80 people died whose ages range from 2 to 45 years old,” he said from the capital, Addis Ababa.
There was no claim of responsibility and no immediate information about the identity of the attackers. “We can confirm that the perpetrators of the attack have not been apprehended by the authorities yet,” Maasho said.
The attack took place in an area called Daletti, in the Metekel zone of Benishangul-Gumuz, which has been plagued by recurring violence in recent months that has left hundreds of people dead.
Some 207 people were killed in one attack on December 23 alone. Maasho said “thousands of people” have been displaced due to the continuing violence in Metekel.
“We call on the federal and regional authorities to strengthen the coordination and measures, including at the district level, to prevent similar attacks against civilians,” added the spokesman of the EHRC, a government-affiliated but independent body.
In other news – Condolences and touching messages pour in to former Uzalo actor Nay Maps
Former Uzalo actor Nay Maps whose real name is Nkosinathi Maphalala has lost another family member following his father’s passing last year. He posted a heartfelt message on his Instagram page that reads as follows. Learn more