Home World News Seven in DRC Ebola scare placed under surveillance: WHO

Seven in DRC Ebola scare placed under surveillance: WHO

DRC Ebola
Medical staff of the Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) get ready to work in their Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) during their weekly rehearsal at the Bwera General Hospital in Bwera bordering with DRC, western Uganda, on December 12, 2018. - The second largest Ebola outbreak in Africa has strated in Democratic Republic of Congo causing 298 deaths since August 2018, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). (Photo by Isaac Kasamani / AFP)

Seven relatives of a gold miner who died of Ebola in eastern DR Congo have been placed under surveillance as a precaution, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

The seven had sparked a scare on Wednesday after travelling from the city of Goma in North Kivu province to the town of Birava in neighbouring South Kivu — a province that has so far escaped the year-old epidemic.

The group were initially placed in quarantine along with eight people who had come to welcome them, but on Thursday South Kivu Governor Theo Ngwabidje Kasi told the press that the 15 had tested negative for Ebola.

The WHO said the seven, comprising a woman and six of the man’s children, had now been taken back from Birava to Goma.

They have been placed under surveillance with other relatives of the dead patient.

“All seven were vaccinated and brought back to Goma. We put them up in a hotel last night and today we put them in an apartment to keep them there for monitoring,” Dr Boubacar Diallo, coordinator of Ebola surveillance for WHO, told AFP.

“So far none of the seven has displayed any symptoms.”

The miner, who died on Wednesday, was the second Ebola fatality in Goma, the capital of North Kivu province that is the epicentre of the outbreak.

The two deaths, occurring in a major transport hub and a border city of two million people, deepened fears the epidemic could leapfrog to neighbouring countries.

The epidemic, which broke out in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in August 2018, has left 1,823 dead, according to health ministry figures released on Friday.

The WHO has elevated the outbreak to a global health emergency.

Health experts are especially worried when a contagious disease breaks out in a city.

You might also like…Sbahle Mpisane serves Body Goals in sexxy Bikini

Fitness guru Sbahle Mpisane has been recovering from a horrific car accident that left her in hospital for months.

Sbahle Mpisane

She has been keeping her social media followers updated about her progress and how she is healing and judging by her latest post, it’s safe to say that the star is making a full recovery. continue reading…

Source: AFP

Loading...

Are You Looking for a NEW JOB?

Are you looking for a job or maybe you are already working but want a new job? We have you covered on our Jobs Listings website. We post only genuine jobs and you can apply for free. See All Jobs Here