
CAPE TOWN – Baby snatcher Sameemah Jacobs, accused of abducting a nine-day-old infant from Middestad Mall in Bellville, has been granted bail of R4,000 by the Bellville Magistrates Court. The decision has sparked public debate, given the severity of the allegations and the dramatic circumstances surrounding the abduction.
Sameemah Jacobs, who is facing charges of kidnapping and defeating the ends of justice, allegedly posed as three different individuals in a calculated plan to gain the trust of the infant’s mother, Imaan Sharmar. She is accused of using false identities to deceive the family before allegedly abducting baby Imaad Sharmar last month.
According to court documents and police reports, Sameemah Jacobs orchestrated the abduction by impersonating various people, including a social worker and a healthcare professional, in order to gain access to the infant. The baby was reported missing from Middestad Mall in Bellville, where the mother had gone to meet Sameemah Jacobs under false pretenses.
Investigations revealed that Sameemah Jacobs had been in contact with the child’s mother for several days, allegedly offering support as part of a community health initiative. Authorities say she used this ruse to lure the mother into a public location and then fled with the baby.
The infant was eventually located and returned safely to his family, but the ordeal left the community shaken and outraged.
State Opposes Bail for Baby Snatcher Sameemah Jacobs
During Monday’s bail hearing, State Prosecutor Simon Salaahuddeen argued strongly against Jacobs’ release, stating that she posed a threat to the victim’s family and could potentially intimidate witnesses if not kept in custody.
Salaahuddeen highlighted the trauma experienced by the baby’s mother and expressed concerns that Sameemah Jacobs may attempt to interfere with the ongoing investigation. “This was a highly organized and premeditated act,” he said. “The suspect went to great lengths to deceive the victim, and the risk of witness intimidation remains high.”
He also emphasized that the crime struck at the heart of public safety and trust, particularly involving vulnerable infants.
Despite the state’s objections, the presiding magistrate—who asked not to be named due to safety concerns—ruled in favor of Jacobs’ release on bail. The magistrate explained that since the key witnesses, including the mother of baby Imaad, had already provided formal statements to the police, the risk of tampering was diminished.
“The court is satisfied that the likelihood of witness interference is low at this stage,” he said. “Moreover, the defence has provided exceptional circumstances that support the granting of bail.”
Sameemah Jacobs’ legal team presented arguments focusing on her personal circumstances, specifically that she is a mother of a young child who requires her care. The court acknowledged this as a factor contributing to the bail decision, though it emphasized that Jacobs must comply with strict bail conditions.
These include regular check-ins at the nearest police station and refraining from contacting any of the witnesses involved in the case.
The case has been postponed to 15 October for further investigation. Police are continuing to gather evidence, including electronic communication records and surveillance footage from the day of the alleged kidnapping.
The decision to grant bail to baby snatcher Sameemah Jacobs has been met with concern from community members and child safety advocates. Many believe that the nature of the crime—targeting a newborn and allegedly using multiple identities—warrants stricter detention until the trial concludes.
“She fooled a mother, abducted a baby, and now she’s out on bail? That’s terrifying,” said a local resident from Bellville, speaking anonymously. “What message does this send to other criminals targeting vulnerable families?”
Several child protection organizations have also called for tighter legal measures in abduction cases, arguing that impersonation and manipulation of caregivers should be considered aggravating factors in sentencing and bail hearings.
With the case adjourned to October, investigators now face the task of compiling additional forensic and digital evidence to build a strong prosecution. Legal experts say the case could set a precedent for how abduction plots involving digital deception and identity fraud are handled in South African courts.
As for Sameemah Jacobs, she remains out on bail but under close scrutiny from law enforcement. Her next court appearance will be critical in determining whether the charges proceed to trial and what penalties she may ultimately face.
Source- EWN











