Home Sports Supersport United defeat Cape Town City to win the MTN8 Cup final

Supersport United defeat Cape Town City to win the MTN8 Cup final

SuperSport United were crowned MTN8 champions after defeating Cape Town City 4-2 on penalties on Saturday evening.

Bradley Grobler had a glorious chance to level the score in the 33rd minute but Seedat stood in the way with a timely block inside the six-yard box to deny Matsatsantsa parity.

Supersport United

Eric Tinkler’s men were overwhelmed by the Citizens’ attacks and although they dominated possession, their final pass lacked precision with Masina’s strike making the difference for City going into the halftime break.

Tinkler took off the experienced Reneilwe Letsholonyane in the 53rd minute in favour of winger Thabo Mnyamane.

Lehlohonolo Majoro almost opened the scoring in the 12th minute after being put through by Masina, but goalkeeper Ronwen Williams did enough to thwart the former Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates striker inside the box, desperately parrying the ball away from his feet at full stretch.

Masina grabbed the lead for Benni McCarthy’s charges in the 22nd minute. The winger received a pass from Ebrahim Seedat on the flank and turned on the left side of the box to poke home a shot beautifully into the bottom left corner, 1-0.


Majoro had another opportunity in the hour-mark to give City a two-goal cushion but missed from point blank range.

The former Amakhosi striker was wasteful as he let slip another opportunity with the net gaping in the 72nd minute however, Clayton Daniels did well to make his strike uncomfortable enough to miss with a timely tackle inside the box.

Mnyamane made it 1-1 in the 79th minute with left-footed strike inside the box following a clever flicked pass from Grobler who put him through, however the forward pulled out his hamstring in the process and was stretched off the field.

Matsatsantsa had made all their three substitutions and now had to play the remainder of the match with a man down as the tie went into extra-time logged at 1-1.

The Citizens had a numerical advantage and it showed in the first half of extra-time, as they pushed Matsatsantsa back into their own half.

McCarthy’s charges continued to dominate in the second half of extra time but the Tshwane outfit overloaded their central defence as they were holding out for the penalty shoot-out.

Nevertheless, the encounter went into a penalty shoot-out, where Tinkler’s charges triumphed 4-2 in the shoot-out with Williams pulling off a couple saves.


SuperSport: Williams, Kekana, Daniels, Gould, Modiba (Myeni 80′), Letsholonyane (Mnyamane 53′), Furman, Mokoena, Phala, Grobler, Brockie (Wome 68′).

City: Walters, Mkhize, Fielies, Johannes, Seedat, Matsi (Moseamedi 89′), Nodada, Modise (Putsche 65′), Masina, Lakay, Majoro (Obinna 73′).

Are You Looking for a NEW JOB?

Are you looking for a job or maybe you are already working but want a new job? We have you covered on our Jobs Listings website. We post only genuine jobs and you can apply for free. See All Jobs Here